Vinegar –

 Is a liquid that is created from the fermentation of ethanol and consist mainly of acetic acid (CH3CO2H) and water. Vinegar’s high acidity level makes it good for killing germs, bacteria and mold. The typical pH of vinegar ranges anywhere from 2 to 3.5, although the store-bought kind usually measures 2.4. The most common and available vinegar is distilled white which contains 5 - 10% acetic acid and has a pH of approximately 2.40 to 3.40. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

Regular, store bought 5% vinegar is reported to kill around 90 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of viruses. Vinegar is also very good a removing hard water deposits of cages, glass and water bowls.

It has also been found that the efficiency of vinegar (5% acetic acid) as a disinfectant could be increased by 10 times when used in combination with hydrogen peroxide (3%). This is done by using two separate bottles of each solution. Spray the item to be cleaned with one solution first and then follow right after with the second solution. It does not matter which solution is applied first. Allow the mix to sit on the surface wait for about 10 minutes, then rinse off. This combination has been found to kill virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, and E. Coli bacteria present on heavily contaminated food and food preparation surfaces. The best results came from using one mist right after the other - it is more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer.

 http://www.rootsimple.com/2012/02/heavy-duty-disinfecting-the-non-toxic-way-with-hydrogen-peroxide-and-vinegar/

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/pharmacology/antiseptics_and_disinfectants/acids_and_alkalies.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19286325

 Caution -

 If you mix hydrogen peroxide and vinegar together in one container, the resulting chemical, peracetic acid, can harm you when mixed together this way if you accidentally create a strong concentration . While hydrogen peroxide and vinegar are each safe on their own, mixing them can be potentially harmful. Their combination produces a highly effective disinfectant called peracetic acid, which (like chlorine bleach) is a severe irritant and can be toxic in high concentrations and prolonged exposure. It is also unstable and will begin to break down without stabilizers. http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfection_Sterilization/9_0PceticAcidHydroPoxide.html

Cost -

1 gallon distilled white vinegar 5% - around $ 1.25 - $1.75

1 gallon distilled white vinegar 9% - around $ 2.00 - $ 3.00


Last Edited By: Matt Morris and David Newman Oct 24 15 2:03 PM. Edited 1 time.